Thursday, November 8, 2007

Learning a new language is tough!

Boy oh boy! It is hard enough to keep up with the diverse languages in this country but in your own home? Geesh! First, I had to learn how to read a newborns mind. Easy enough, huh? Got that down and while I was still communicating in that language-BOOM! Toddler-ese comes along. That one was a little harder than newborn. This one truly depended on not only their moods, but mine too. It is really hard to continue to be frustrated at the little bundle when you know that they don't understand you. Toddlers? Different story. They do understand you, they just don't want to. Get through that! There are also subsets of that language such as; the paccie garble, the words-through-sobs language, the all-of-a-sudden-I-am-too-shy-to-speak language, and how about knowing when to distinguish a serious "mommy" over a not so serious one? Whew? I could be a child interpreter. I wonder if the FBI or the CIA needs one? I already have the experience.

But, wait! The adolescent language! Almost forgot that one. I wish I could have hired an interpreter for this lesson. Let me say this was truly the toughest one. It was like someone replaced the kids that were mine with some foreign beings. Overnight. I really did lock the windows and doors at night so the aliens didn't get in. Guess they don't pay attention to locks.

If you could get them to speak, it was either a "what do you know" language or a "do I have to?" whiny language. Oh yeah, let me not forget the "mom, I really love you, can I..." language. It was pretty predictable, which is a nice change because toddler-ese is so not!

Somewhere in there came high tech and the "IM, texting" language. It really does exist. It is just not a TV commercial for T-Mobile. This is how we communicate now:

Me: So, what time is the show?

Her: idk

Me: Where is it at? I need to know so that I can put it in my schedule. Are you getting a ride to or from? I will do one way but...

Her: MOM--OMG! Y? u said b4 that u wuld drv!!

Me: ok, just find the info out that I need so I know what is going on.

Her: k, mom, ily.

And they actually SAY the letters. Crazy. I can see why kids are struggling with learning how to spell. Spell check actually has a field day with that!



Unfortunately for the youngest, I know the language now. I am well versed and sometimes she pays for the past lessons. I have to be careful and realize every child is different. Yet, on the other hand, they are only a stone's throw from all being the same.

No comments: