Sunday, November 11, 2007

Am I my mother?

Last night we all went to my niece's Sweet Sixteen party. Now, she went all out. The Grande Entrance and all!! Wow. It was like a wedding or maybe a coming out debutante ball. Except we don't really do the deb thing in this family. Actually, this was the first one I have been to.

It was tons of work and planning for my sister. I actually felt bad for her. But, it did turn out nice and the kids had fun, I think. I definitely think my niece had a blast.

But...the adults. Well, that's different. I did not know any of the music. Lots of rap type music. When something good did come on, it was quickly changed after a loud "ewww, no!" roar from the floor. My head is still carrying some type of beat, like the sound you hear from the car three cars behind you where you are feeling vibrations on your steering wheel. You know what I mean.

Thing is as I watched my 13 yo dancing (I sure didn't know she knew that move!! Much less the song!!) I realized I have become "a mom". Well sure, I have known I was a mom since my oldest was born over 23 years ago, but I wasn't "a mom". I was still a cool person, in the know, you know? I thought back then that I would never be out of the know. Nope, not me. I would keep up with trends, clothes styles, music, tv shows...yep, I was cool.

When did it happen? I didn't feel it happening. Surely, it must have been when I was sleeping. Really. I think I woke up one day and didn't know the world out there anymore. Wow. I am my mother. My father. Maybe even my grandmother!

I guess maybe I have seen a little of it coming, now that I am thinking about it. My daughter will look at my clothes sometimes and say, "uh, no mom. Not good". What?!!! Then, I get defensive and say, "well I am not in Jr. High!! I can't wear Abercrombie. They make their Larges like Smalls. Shows every little bulge!! Imagine what it might do to a slightly bigger than little one?" While I defend it, I do feel a twinge of loss of my youth. It passes, though.

I am getting older. We all are. This is what we are supposed to do. Right? Yes. But, that does not mean anything bad. On the contrary, it is good. I like that I am wiser. I am more comfortable with who I am, even the not-so-good side. I like that I have choices and I am in charge of them. I still grow, every day I learn something new and I am in awe that I did. I actually recognize it. I like my music. My choice of tv shows. My clothes need some help, but I tend to buy less for me because I do not work outside the home. But I will and when I do, I will have a field day shopping. Right now, it costs an arm and a leg to keep a teen happy with her clothes!

Yes, I am my mother, my father and my grandparents. And I like it.

No comments: