Monday, November 5, 2007

Get your license!!

Apparently not every teenager is in a hurry to get their license. I want to know if anyone has noticed this lately, but it seems that there are more and more teens putting off getting their license.

My second daughter didn't get hers until she was 18 and was just fine with that. She was either toted (not by me) around, paid friends, walked or didn't go anywhere. Just fine with that. My son is 17 and still does not have his. I ask him about this and he says that it is his dad's fault. Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. Now, I will say that my ex does drag his feet about everything. He is late to everything and thinks it is OK. Bad lesson for the children. It grinds me.

Anyway, I remember when getting you license was HUGE! Especially, it seemed, for boys. They counted down the minutes. I got mine later than usual because I didn't have a car to drive. I barely had one to take the test in. Brakes were bad, blinkers didn't work, you had to manually flick them. I think they passed me because they did not want to have to ride in that old Vega again.

I told my ex that I will not go around chasing after a 17 yo that should have his license. So, if he wants to tote him all over, go for it. He says he thinks that my son is scared and he doesn't want to put him on the road being afraid. Well, you know, I think most kids are scared. It is what keeps them on their toes at first. Too cocky and there will be accidents. You have to trust them, like it or not, at some point. I told his dad that Shane (my son) did not need to go on a cross country trip right away but that I was sure he could navigate the city. Geez. Give the kid some credit. He has been driving. He has put his hours in.

I think it comes down to this: my ex is scared that his little boy is growing up.

No comments: