Friday, November 2, 2007

Halloween with teens...

When my kids were young, Halloween was really kind of exciting. Maybe I can say that now, looking back. Dressing them up in outfits of characters they dream of growing up to be, (sorry about the grim reapers, the Jasons, Freddies and such. Mine liked princesses, except my son who was into Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles) with makeup they were only allowed to wear at this time and getting all the candy you could for once.

Fast forward, and I do mean fast, to adolescence. OK, Taylor's Tinkerbell costume was actually cute once she borrowed a green dress from her older sis. Of course, I was not allowed to walk with her, which I didn't think I would ever miss. She was going with friends. One thing you didn't have to worry about when you were with your toddlers. Off she went into the night.

We just got her a cell phone so that she could communicate with us so I was OK with that but...you still worry.

Me and hubby sat out on the porch, was a great night this year weather-wise, and passed out candy to all the little goblins and gabbed to the parents in tow. We live in a sub that is a circle, one way in and the same way out. This is not necessarily conducive for running and hitting all the houses you can. Plus, you can't glance down the street and see if it is even worth it because you can't view all the homes to see if their lights are on. So about 7:30 pm we were done. I figured (shame on me, that was a lesson long ago learned from the older girls) that she would call me soon to pick her up at her friends. Nope. I finally called her after 8 and she said she was on her way to her friends, she was in a sub by the school. OK, that could be ANYWHERE. We have been here almost 4 years and I still manage to get lost in the subs, always amazed at the streets I never knew were in there. I told her to hurry and call me when she got there.

8:30 pm-nothing. I call her, she tells me they are in a sub by the school, making their way out. Hmmm. I am not happy. Get to the school and call me NOW, I say.

8:50 pm-nothing. I call her and tell her that I am coming to the school and she best be there. She is blaming it all on her friend and trying hard to get out of this one. I am furious (mostly because she had me so worried, but I don't let her know that right away)

9:00 pm-I get to the school and lo and behold! some other kids (boys) are walking the other way as if they didn't know anyone else was around. Hmmmm, I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. My kids never did get that.

All in all, she was safe and that is important. Equally important was me explaining to her the dangers of "hanging out" at night and that I don't care what your friends are saying or doing, you know the difference between right and wrong AND you have a phone so if you don't exercise those options, you are just as guilty.

And, she will be passing out candy next year.

No comments: